September 11, 2017

Open to Possibility


The past few weeks, I've been focused and productive: revamping my website, finishing a new e-course, and teaching mindfulness workshops. Amid abundant yet busy days, I recognize my need to pause; to take a break; to gain a fresh perspective. When I don't pause—when I try to push through and work harder—my creativity wilts, my writing weakens, and my ideas stall. 

As always, the trick is to remember to remember. To prioritize short pauses: a walk around the block, a 5-minute meditation, or a heartfelt connection with another person. These ordinary actions widen my view. Instead of seeing deadlines and limits, I see possibility. I better understand when it's time to stop and when it's time to keep working. It's my own awareness calling me back: slow down and pay attention. What's the next most skillful step?

External sources rarely tell us to rest, pause, and slow down. We must do this for ourselves. It's beneficial to our health and well-being and, as importantly, it sparks creativity, compassion, and insight. We can practice together, in this very moment (our chance to remember to remember):

Open to Possibility
---
Welcome Page (start here) | Courses | Monthly Mindfulness  | Self-Care Facebook

4 comments:

  1. I have come up with a three word reminder, practice, pause, feel. I check in with these three words several times a day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Practice, pause, feel." Each one is an important, beautiful reminder.

      Delete
  2. I am the absolute worst at this (taking a pause), Joy.
    And the busier I am, and the more I need it, the worse I am at doing something about it.
    Thank you for the reminder, and suggestions.
    Have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Lisa. I appreciate your honesty. But please realize: your story is everyone's story. We resist the pause when we most need it. The more people we have to encourage us, the better. Eventually, we can change habits. Hugs to you!

      Delete